Saturday, June 29, 2013

Reaching out to my fellow quilters......

Hello my fellow quilters,

I have been busy helping to make quilt tops for the victims of the recent (and on going floods) that have affected 100,000's of people in Southern Alberta.
this video has a great over view of the flood affected areas of Calgary.



I have joined a couple of groups that are coordinating efforts to get the word out to quilters across North America. Many displaced families are in need of a hug a quilt can give.

Please consider sending a quilt or top. We have an small army of long armers ready to complete tops!

How to:


Go to Facebook 
Go to the group Quilting for Calgary.  
Bev Rogan is instrumental in getting this group together.  (she was instrumental in getting 1000's of quilts to Japan after the tsunami)

For my US quilting friends:


We are most greatful to Westfreight Systems in Houston for their kindness and generosity. Westfreight will be bringing US donations to us (in Calgary) once a week hence eliminating the customs concerns and expense for our US friends in getting their donaitons to us. Please send your donations to:


Westfreight Systems 
16855 Crosby Freeway
Houston, Texas, 77049 
Ph. 281-456-7332 

Attention: Kathy or Randy

For our Canadian quilting friends:

Quilts can be sent to:

"Quilting for Calgary"
38 Rockbluff Close NW
Calgary, AB T3G 5B1


As well, a group of ladies have also been coordinating efforts to get quilts in through My Sewing Room, a LQS.

Check out their newsletter to see DD#2 and I sewing together at a Quilting Bee.


I have signed up to be on the distribution list of the donated quilts. At this point in time we don't have a date for that as there is still a lot of recovery to be done.

My daughter made a poster and hung it at the mail box to have our street donate toiletries for the flood victims. Look what we had donated:





There are many many acts of kindness happening all around Calgary and surrounding areas. Strangers helping strangers; First responders going out of there way; corporations donating $$$; 1000's of volunteers putting in endless hours to get this city back together.
It unbelievable.

1 comment:

  1. Just amazing, Lee. Many thanks for sharing all this information and giving us all an opportunity to show we care by helping out. I think what you're doing is wonderful!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping to view my blog. Please leave me a comment and tell me what you think of my projects.