Wednesday, December 26, 2012

At last I can share

At last I can share this finish with you all.  I am so excited to show you my niece's quilt that I finally finished for her.

This quilt is made using her soccer and hockey jerseys she accumulated over the years.  She has played soccer since she was 4 up until last year as a goal with her university. She played hockey for many years with the town teams and her high school.
This quilt has been a long time coming.  Her mom brought me the jerseys over 2 years ago, but for some reason I just couldn't get my head around putting it together. I was worried about ruining the jerseys. They are all made from a stretch knit and different weights; some are warm up jackets, some mesh like fabrics.

However, once I got my head around making it,  it went together rather easily. My biggest obstacle was the weight when quilting it. I wanted to do more free motion quilting but it was just too heavy to manoeuvre.  I had to do more quilting with the walking foot.  
free motion soccer ball

She's number !

Her initials

top completed

back with large hockey jersey
here she is on Christmas day!
Did you make any special gifts for Christmas?

Lee




3 comments:

  1. Nice job, Lee ... it's marvelous!!! I love the soccer ball you quilted -- perfect addition!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, what a wonderful quilt! That turned out beautifully! And the soccer ball quilted in, a lovely touch!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the way you put this together--your niece is so lucky!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping to view my blog. Please leave me a comment and tell me what you think of my projects.