Monday, April 12, 2010

String Fling!!

Stephanie over at Loft Creations challenged us, I think, back in January to create something with strings in the No Strings Attached Challenge! Well I took up the challenge in a big way creating a quilt for my niece that turned 20 in March. I didn't quite get it done in time for her birthday, but it is completed now. (I partly didn't get it completed in time because I knew my mom would be visiting in April and could take it back to Ontario for me.)

The borders were challenging, trying to decided which colours to use. I had to make more crumb blocks, which bt the way are fun to make, because I was running out of the solid blue. In the end I only had 1.5" left over! whew
The other reason I didn't finish it on time, was because I wasn't sure how to quilt this one. I finally settled on using a serpentine stitch across all the string blocks hortizontally. I stitched in the ditch around the purple border and then 4 rows of serpentine in the blue border using a varigated thread. It measures 60"X 80". I used up all my bright strings. So now do I do one with my light and dark strings too?
I love the backing fabric. I wanted something not too funky incase she doesn't like the front anymore, the back is a little tamer!!
What do you think, does this shout SPRING??

8 comments:

  1. It sure does shout spring! I love it! I'm sure she'll be amazed and delighted with it - what a good aunt you are!
    I have a quilt backed in the same orange print, too! http://pickledish.blogspot.com/2009/09/theres-no-better-way-to-inaugurate.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your string quilt looks amazing! Your niece will love it! Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It shouts Spring from the rooftops!!! Fantastic. Congratulations on a job well done.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think it shouts Happy!! I like it, great job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is an awesome quilt! Love the bright,fun colors. She will love it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the quilt, the bright colors - defently give me a spring feeling! Great job!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yest, it shouts Spring! I love how you did the borders. Another technique for me to remember.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The bright colours make you feel so good after the winter.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping to view my blog. Please leave me a comment and tell me what you think of my projects.