Friday, July 17, 2009

A few finishes!!!


Although it is summer our sewing machines are still humming just not as often. I am so proud of D#1. She made these three purses for her dance teachers as thank you gifts. I started helping her do the cutting of the fabrics (a mix of stash and bought) but by the third bag she was on her own. She asked each of the teachers what their 3 favourite colours were. Hopefully they like them. The pattern is from Lazy Girl Designs, Miranda Bag. The patterns are really easy to follow.

I liked how easy the pattern was to follow so much I then picked up the Perfect Pouches pattern and made some to go in the bags for the teachers. They are soooo soooo easy.


Now for my finish. I have a cousin (well distant cousin in lineage and geopgraphy) she lives in Kansas. Unfortunately she is undergoing chemo treatments. She has her good days and bad days, so I wanted to make her a quilt wrap around her when she was having a bad day. So a couple of weeks ago I asked her what her three favourite colours are....red, green and brown, she replied. Yikes those are Christmas colours! I really wanted to make her a quilt but didn't want it to look too Christmassy So i searched through my stash and fat quarters and came up with these. Not Christmassy, but more earthy, forest like. I just made up the pattern as I went along. I tried to put the squares randomly, but I don't think my brain likes that!



I had a hard time quilting this. I was going to go chriss-cross over the 9 patches, but was having a hard time keeping in the ditch. Then when I wanted to do the free motion I decided I wanted to add "looped-d-loops". Well my new machine was not cooperating and I had to tear out and tear out again. I was getting really frustrated. Quilting looked good on top, but not the bottom. In the end I think it might have been the thread I was using, but who knows. I got it finished and that is what counts. It is not my favourite, but I sure hope Susie likes it.



Actually looking at it here it doesn't seem too bad. I did have to buy the red border fabric but the rest came from the stash!!! :) And that is a good thing

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping to view my blog. Please leave me a comment and tell me what you think of my projects.